The Grace Baptist Church in Harrold and Carlton was formed in 1994
when Harrold Evangelical Church and Carlton Baptist Meeting formally
The Church in Harrold is still remembered by older
residents of the village as the "Mission Hall" which dates back
to 1876. That year saw the grand opening of the new building which was funded by Miss Mary Anne St Quentin who lived next door. She had originally acquired the old George Inn which was turned into the "British Workers' Mission" established as a centre for gospel teaching and the advocation of temperance and self-improvement.It ran successful evening classes and attracted a large number of speakers, particularly from the Temperance Movement. One of these speakers was a Mr Croxford and Miss Quentin offered to build a new church, providing that he took up residence in the village. The new church carried on the missionary work and Mr Croxford was the first minister. Miss St Quentin died in 1896, by which time the church was very successful in playing an important part in village life.