From about 1774 onwards, ministers preached in
the village unconnected with the established church. Some of the
Dissenters, as they were then known, worshipped at the chapels in
Carlton and Sharnbrook.
In Harrold, meetings took place on The Green,
sometimes in a barn, but most frequently in the homes of friends.
John Mardlin and Knightly Smith pulled down a partition between
rooms in their cottages to accommodate more people for services.
Rising attendances led to consideration of an enlarged place of
William Ray provided ground from his garden
on which to build a chapel, and Mr Clark, a farmer, provided the
stone for the building: together with donations from others, the
Congregational Church was built. It became a United Reformed Church