Harrold History
Early Ancestors
Iron Age, Roman & Saxon Farmstead Settlement
The Domesday Survey
The Priory at Harrold
Fairs & Markets
Harrold Bridge
Parish Church of St Peter
Nonconformism
Major Landowners in Harrold
Harrold Old Manor
Harrold Hall
Clockmaking
Freddie Crouch: Harrold's Last Blacksmith
Caleb Lefevre
Travel, Transport & Mail
Leather Making
Bridgman Doors
Public Houses and Inns of Harrold
Paul McCartney, Hey Jude & Harrold 1968
Dr Richard Mead
Anne Alston & Harrold Hall

 


Harrold Hall

 

Harrold Hall was built 1608-1610 by Francis Farrar for £160 for his daughter, Anne Farrar. According to the accounts in the Wingfield Trust Collection, it was built on the grange yard of the priory to the south East of St. Peter's Church. The principal front faced the river.

It was originally an E shaped house (typically Elizabethean) built of rubbble stone with an ashlar dressing. In June 1608 work began on digging stone from a pit in Harrold.This was probably rubble stone, the better quality stone being brought from quarries in Olney and Warrington (some 70 loads). Special stone came from Weldon in Northamptonshire, from the quarries of the Master Mason, Thomas Grumbold. This was used for the porch, some windows and for toppstones. Three storeys high, the house had mullioned and transomed windows, moulded string courses dividing the storeys. The entrance porch was the full height of the house and would have been the most ornamented part of the building.

Anne Farrar married Thomas Boteler in 1602 when she was 15 years old. She and her husband lived at Harrold Hall for only a short time for Thomas was knighted and they moved to the family seat in Biddenham. In 1651 Helen, granddaughter of Sir Thomas Boteler, married her second cousin, Thomas Farrar, and the property, exclusive of the rectory, formed part of the marriage settlement. In 1680, when there was another intermarriage between the Botelers and Farrars, William Farrar (son of Thomas) married Mary Boteler and the rectory and other lands in Harrold formed part of her dowry.In 1714 said William “ alienated a messuage and land in Harrold” to Anne Joliffe, half sister of Jemima, wife of the Duke of Kent, who at that time owned the Manor of Harrold. The son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent bore the title of Earl of Harrold.

When Anne Jolliffe died in 1732 she left Harrold Hall to her niece, Ann Mead, who died in 1763. After Anne's death the house was occupied by various people, including MPs, Masters of the Oakley Hunt and others. In 1816 the porch and recessed centre were obliterated by the addition of a large two storey extension between the two wings of the E shape, built by Thomas Alston. Before this, many of the original windows had been replaced by sash windows.

The Latter Days of Harrold Hall

It was leased to other individuals until in 1930 it was left derelict. The Jacobean staircase and the interior were stripped and the gates were removed to the Mansion House at the end of the village. They bear the Alston Coat of Arms. The Staircase is now in the former rectory, now St John's Ambulance Headquarters, in St John's Street, Bedford.

In 1938 the house and surrounding land was conveyed to local resident Edgar Clayson.

During the Second World War the Hall was used as army billets and became a prisoner of war camp for Italians, in the main. It was Camp Number 611.

In 1950 the house was sold by Edgar Clayson and was let to various tenants.

We recently received an e-mail from Bill Benton-Evans whose wife (nee Crossland) was one of the last inhabitants of Harrold Hall. She lived there, as a teenager, with her parents in the 1950s right up until 1959 when it was demolished. We were delighted to receive the two photographs below which show the Hall in relation to St Peter's Church (circa 1955) and a picture of an impressive Elizabethan fireplace taken at around that time. Bill also sent copies of pictures of the Jacobean staircase and The Drawing Room

Today, all one can see of the original house (which was demolished in 1959) and garden is the aconites which bloom in profusion at the end of Hall Close. They were on features either side of the drive to the house.

Ownership and Tenancy of Harrold Hall: A Timeline

Date
Ownership
Tenancy
1537
Dissolution of the Priory
John Cheney (a 21 year lease)
1558
Site and Land of former priory acquired by Ralph Farrar (a London grocer)
1560
Death of Ralph Farrar site inherited by Francis Farrar
1608-1610
Harrold Hall constructed by Francis Farrar( for his daughter Anne who was married to Thomas Boteler)
1616
On the death of Francis Farrar the house was inherited by Thomas Boteler.
1625
Hall leased to Margaret Mordaunt (daughter of Lord Henry Mordaunt of Turvey)
1653
Hall leased to Sir Oliver Boteler of Sharnbrook (18 year lease) on behalf of his daughter Ursula who had married George Orlebar of Hinwick.
Around 1671
Leased to Richard Orlebar, son of George and Ursula Orlebar
1690
Death of Richard Orlebar
1702
Mary Boteler ( daughter of William Boteler) inherited the property. Her husband sold it to Anne Joliffe
1732
Anne Joliffe who had lived at the Hall for 30 years died, leaving the property to her niece, Anne Alston (who later married Dr Richard Mead).
1762
Death of Anne Alston who died intestate - the properety descended to her nephew Sir Thomas Alston of Odell
1777
Leased to Mrs Henrietta Lee, wealthy London heiress.
1797
Tenancy taken over by Lieutenant Colonel Garstin (who had married Henrietta Lee).
1816
Leased to Colonel J H Lethbridge
1844
Leased to Major Richard Magenis
1864
Death of Richard Magenis.His widow Mrs Magenis takes over the lease.
1865
Leased to Edward Marsh Harvey
1869
Following his death his widow, Mrs Harvey, takes over the lease
1885-1898
Rowland Crewe Alston inherits the Hall and is resident.
1907
Rowland Crewe Alston sells the Hall to Arthur Cecil Beck MP,
1912
Alston family repurchase the Hall (Alexander Alison Alston of Turvey Abbey)
1914
Rowland Alison Alston takes up residence
1924
Leased to Captain Esme Arkwright
1938
Hall and land conveyed to Edgar Clayson
1943
The Pioneer Corps take over the Hall for billeting.
1944-6
Hall becomes a POW camp (Camp 611) mainly for Italion POWs.
1950
Edgar Clayson sold the Hall
House then unoccupied
1950s
Series of tenants - see article above of a teenager at Harrold Hall in the 1950s
1959-1961
House demolished and the houses of Hall Close were built on the site.

 

 


 

 

 

   

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

Views of Harrold Hall

Harrold Hall and Church - looking upstream

The Hall and Church - circa 1955

The Elizabethan Fireplace (Photo taken c. 1955)

 

The Drawing Room

Jacobean Staircase

 

 

 

 

 
 
The web-site of the village of Harrold