The Company was first formed by Mr H C (Bert)
Bridgman, and incorporated as a Limited Company in 1954. Bert was
known as a demanding boss, but fair, and he took his employees off
on trips, sometimes abroad, for a rewarding break. Over the succeeding
years, the Company gradually expanded, including into flush-door
In 1969 the Company acquired land in Harrold
for its purpose-built factory. A new door line was installed for
manufacturing suited doors of all types and finishes. For a number
of years Bridgmans manufactured prefabricated bathrooms for hotels,
but with the demise in hotel building, the company turned to flush
door production. A sum of £250,000 was invested in press machinery,
reputedly providing the ability to press five fire doors in 3½ minutes.
After such enterprise and investment in facilities
and people, it was inevitably a great loss when in February 2000,
Bridgman Doors Ltd closed with the loss of about 100 jobs. This
ended an era when Harrold, unlike many other local villages, had
provided significant employment locally.
The factory site was then developed for housing
near to the heart of the village.