A Tour of Harrold
The Bridge & Riverside
The Country Park
The High Street (east)
The Village Green
The High Street (west)
The Lanes of Harrold
Carlton and Odell Roads
Newer Developments
Footpaths in the Village
Tour Index Page
 

 

The Oakley Arms

The Muntjac

 

 

High Street (West)

 



The High Street continues west of The Green in the direction of Lavendon and, like its eastern section, it contains a great variety of historical and architectural styles. The occasional red brick buildings interrupt the limestone stuctures which may be rendered or more usually exposed. In the scene above The Oakley Arms has a half tiled roof then a half thatched roof. The butcher's shop beyond it is even built of yellow Cambridge-style brick. This section of the High Street contains the surviving two of Harrold's public houses. Further down the street is The United Reformed Church , the present building of which was opened in 1836, Further round the bend is the Jacobean Mansion House whose iron gates were brought from the Riverside Harrold Hall when it was demolished in the 1960s. In a short distance we have passed through three centuries and still the Twentieth Century lies further ahead.


 

 

The Mansion House

 

 

 

 

 

 

The United Reformed Church

 

 

Butcher's Shop

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
The web-site of the village of Harrold